Community

What to do this summer?

The Jewish holidays have pretty well wrapped up and the summer stretches before us. What will you do over the summer? I have some suggestions. Check out the synagogues Do some shul shopping. Now with no pressure on, go to services, chat with a few people, see which places you like. That way, come fall,…

Read More »

When Being in an Interfaith Family Hurts

The HARD side of interfaith relationships and the Jewish world A member of this list asked me to pass along to you his painful experience. His wife is not Jewish and his brother has rejected his family – both JB’s wife and son. JB feels that he has lost his own brother and his nephew….

Read More »

Do Not Traffic in Fear

Talking to a couple of people this week made me write about FEAR. Do not traffic in fear Despite the fact that the Reform movement began inreach and outreach to interfaith couples in 1978 many people remain unaware that welcoming interfaith couples and families has grown stronger and more wide spread over the last 30+…

Read More »

Passover for American Jews

What does Passover mean in American Jewish community? Often Jews will say, “Passover is my favorite holiday.”  Often Christians will say, “Christmas is my favorite holiday.”  These two days are pretty different – one about the exodus from Egypt and the other about the birth of Jesus.  What do we DO on these days?  Passover…

Read More »

Finding Programs and Resources

Where are fun, informative, interactive Jewish events taking place? Everywhere!  I know from your emails to me that many of you rely on the e-letter to keep you informed.  That’s fine but I want you to remember that I can only cover a smattering of what is out there.  If you want to be more…

Read More »

Posted in Community
Published on January 30th, 2009

Israel in a Time of Crisis

I have been thinking about how to talk to you about Israel when there is no simple statement to be made.  Then I received a beautiful letter that Rabbi Mark Bloom of Temple Beth Abraham in Oakland wrote to his congregation.  I got his permission to share it with you here.  I was particularly touched by…

Read More »