Community

Pride Month: JUNE

I’m not going to pretend that LGBTQ folks are our primary audience just because it’s Pride Month. BUT LGBTQ folks do show up at many programs we offer. Why? Because 11% of the US population identifies as LGBTQ and 2% identifies as Jewish. So if you’re gay and Jewish the chances of finding another gay…

Read More »

The Practicalities of Shiva

Some of you know that I receive just about all of the synagogue e-newsletters. Sometimes the rabbis use that vehicle to contact their members. Not long ago I received an email from a Conservative congregation who had a recent loss. It is a useful way of illustrating some aspects of Shiva practice. The rabbi said:…

Read More »

Seders 2015

Passover begins Friday, April 3 at sundown. Most people will be cozily ensconced in a house well before the 7:34pm sunset time. If you are a member of a synagogue and have no where to go for first night you should contact your synagogue’s office. Most shuls are doing seder matching. Almost all the bay…

Read More »

SF Jewish Film Festival & Other Summer Options

Here we are in the delightful summer months with long warm evenings full of crickets. This is when the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival fills theaters around the Bay Area with films that we pretty much won’t get a chance to see otherwise. I hope you have received the 2014 brochure in the mail and…

Read More »