Community

A Time to Grieve and A Time to Act

Many synagogue congregants are receiving emails from their clergy about the tragedy in Orlando. I am confident that many church members are getting similar messages. I share with you the one that Peninsula Temple Sholom‘s clergy, Rabbi Dan Feder, Rabbi Lisa Delson, Rabbi Molly Plotnik and Cantor Barry Reich. **** Over the weekend, the Jewish…

Read More »

Happy Pride Month!

Thanks to Keshet for this lovely sign. I don’t have a huge amount of data about LGBT Jewish couples, but I do have the results of a survey done a few years ago of the East Bay LGBT Jewish population. Of the LGBT Jews in relationships 89% were in an interfaith relationship. If you didn’t…

Read More »

2016 Community Seders

Typically the first night of Passover (Pesach) involves a family Seder at home. But there are some places where there are community Seders for those who don’t have a family to invite. Second night community Seders have become very common at synagogues and there are lots of them! If you don’t see what you need…

Read More »

“We are an intermarried congregation”

I wanted to share with you this message that Rabbi Larry Milder sent to his congregation earlier this month. Are You Intermarried? We Welcome You! We are an intermarried congregation. I haven’t counted; I don’t know what the numbers are. It’s just an impression. Honestly, I don’t always know who is a Jew and who…

Read More »

We are what we Nosh

Rabbi Milder of Beth Emek in Pleasanton sent out an email to his congregation last Friday reminding them of the importance of food – as a gesture of hospitality, as a social mixer, as a gesture of caring. Here’s what he had to say: Shabbat services don’t feel complete without Oneg Shabbat. It’s like dinner…

Read More »