Community

Spiritual Love in a time of Virus

This is a weird time. We are in the midst of a pandemic. We had no idea this was coming. We are not prepared. On Sunday I read in the SF Chronicle that many houses of worship were closing their sites.  By today I learned that six of the bay area counties will be putting a shelter-in-place order out…

Read More »

A Night of Jewish Humor

Join the hilarious duo—Dave Barry and Adam Mansbach—for a wild night of side-stitching Jewish humor. This is a don’t-miss event for Jews and the people who love them, or really anyone who can’t resist a good laugh. Besides, you have something better to do on a Monday? Pultizer Prize-winning humor writer, Dave Barry, and #1…

Read More »

Posted in Community
Published on October 16th, 2019

This is Bay Area Jewry – at Temple Isaiah in Lafayette

Photo Essays on the Changing Nature of our Community Temple Isaiah, Lehrhaus Judaica and Building Jewish Bridges present a photo essay exhibition showcasing the range of diversity in our community. The exhibition features 21 intimate portraits of individuals and families from a variety of backgrounds and levels of religious observance — from the North and…

Read More »

Jewish Conversation or Competition?

The women at Beth Emek asked me for a program on Jewish conversations. With the excellent suggestions from their leader this is what we came up with. Note: you can request a program for your synagogue or Jewish group that is shaped to your interests and needs.   Jewish Conversation or Competition? Do you ever…

Read More »

Should our rabbi care more about our feelings or which holidays we celebrate?

A Mixed and Matched column from February 2017. I’m Jewish and just married a woman who grew up with no religious traditions. She celebrates the Hallmark holidays like Christmas, but doesn’t go to church. I’m an only child and my parents are totally understanding of our relationship and are open to us raising the kids…

Read More »