Community

Does the perfect synagogue exist? In a word: no

This article originally appeared in the J-weekly in my Mixed and Match column on 8/8/19) Dear Dawn: I saw your response in J. to someone in the Bay Area wanting a Conservative shul where the men wear kippahs and would accept his half-Jewish children. You said nowhere would fit every demand. But surely there are many places…

Read More »

No Jewish Summer Camp in 2020

(JCC Maccabi Sports Camp from Camp Collective website) Right about now I would be making suggestions and referrals to Jewish summer camps – day camps and sleep over camps. But one by one the camps are announcing their closure for this season due to COVID-19.  It is terribly sad and disappointing for kids and their…

Read More »

“Doing Jewish” Online

What’s happening online in Jewish life? Jewish community everywhere is turning to the internet to be socially connected while we are socially distancing. Here are some examples. My Jewish Learning has a calendar of their events here. Anyone can join in. Most synagogues have gone to online services and classes. For example, Temple Isaiah in…

Read More »

Where have all the programs gone?

If you live on Planet Earth there’s a good likelihood that you are in isolation protecting yourself and others from the spreading Coronavirus. The synagogues, Jewish community centers and other Jewish organizations are closed. Programs are being restructured to be online offerings.  You can now “attend” services via your computer. Go to the website of…

Read More »

Posted in Community
Published on March 26th, 2020

Physically Distancing, Spiritually Connecting

We have just about completed week 2 of our quarantine. We are in this together Israel’s chief rabbi called for a global fast yesterday.  If you were unable to fast for a day he suggested fasting for a shorter time. If you can’t fast at all he suggested you fast from speaking. If you can’t be…

Read More »

Posted in Community
Published on March 26th, 2020